Friday 9 January 2009

Kelly's Keeping Box

I was asked if I could decorate a box for a lady at work (hi Margaret) for her to give to her daughter as a 'keeping box'; of course I said yes. Margaret bought a box that you can buy at Spotlight - plain brown shoe box size box that she wanted decorated in blue and black as they are her daughters favourite colours and not too girly. I had some paper at home and sorted out what I was going to use. I hadn't really done much covering of things in the past so I was a little worried about how it was going to turn out. I had a look on Splitcoast stampers website to see if I could find any tutorials that might help me. There were tutorials on decorating tins and clipboards and stuff and they all used Mod Podge so I decided that was what I was going to use to stick the paper down and as a sealer when I had finished. Anyway here is a couple of pictures of the box


Stamp set: Yummy (sale-a-bration set), text was done on computer

Paper: mixed papers from before Stampin' Up! days, whisper white cardstock

Accessories: 2 fowers from pretties kit with clear brad, Mod Podge, Black stazon ink, Brocade Blue wide grosgrain ribbon. extra sticky double sided tape, mini glue dots, jumbo glue dot and a plain shoe box bought from Spotlight

The box was quite easy to decorate and I really enjoyed doing it. I stuck the side panels down first by applying Mod Podge to the box and lining up the paper with the top of the box and wrapped a little over the underneath of the box and the sides (front and back) for a neat finish. I then stuck the paper down for the front and back ends measuring the exact size. I applied a coat of Mod Podge over entire surfaces to seal. I then stuck down a piece of plain blue on the underneath of the box to finish it off.

For the lid I did the sides first with the striped paper again wrapping extra over the top and the sides and then stuck a plain piece on blue down and applied a layer of Mod Podge. I love Mod Podge, it dries pretty quickly and really sticks stuff down.

I attacked the ribbon using extra sticky double sided tape before mounting the "Kelly's keeping box" panel at the front. I typed the text on the computer and printed if one whisper white cardstock and cut it to size. I stamped the swirl in the top right corner using stazon ink so when I applied the Mod Podge over the top it didn't smudge (I didn't want to have to do it again if it did). I put the 2 flowers together using the brad and stuck them down using a jumbo glue dot. I then needed to put a couple of mini glue dots under a couple of the petals because they weren't sitting how I wanted them to.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Love the box and I love that stamp!